You can start walking anytime and anywhere. That is why we believe that walking is one of the best ways to add more physical activity into your daily routine!
The important thing is to start at a level you're comfortable with and build it up. Why not try walking to the local shops, to school or even to work. The main thing is just to take those first steps. People who are physcially active are more likey to live longer, enjoy more healthy years of life and remain independent.
What are the Health Benefits of Walking?
- Reduces your risk of heart disease, strokes and of some cancers
- Can help manage weight and diabetes
Five Reasons to Walk
- It’s accessible to ALL (regardless of age, income, location & ability).
- It’s easy to incorporate into your daily life.
- It’s free and you don’t need special equipment.
- It’s sociable if you walk with your friends.
- It’s a chance to learn more about your community.
Want to know more?
NHS Choices - Walk Your Way to Health
This website is packed full of lots of great information about getting started with walking and the health benefits it can bring.
This Goverment campaign site is full of interesting about why walking is good for the whole family.
NHS 10,000 Steps Challenge
Research shows that walking 10,000 steps a day will significantly improve your health. Putting one foot in front of the other can build stamina, burn excess calories and give you a healthier heart.Why don't you give it a try!
Pedometer- Walking Calories and Distance Calculator
It can sometimes be hard to know how many calories you could be burning when walking - This Pedometer should help with that.