50 FOR A REASON #39 : We're Down With The Kids
As the schools prepare to go back and family life returns to normal, Nicki highlights all the great ideas for keeping the kids active and moving during term time.
BACK TO SCHOOL COUNTDOWN! This is your final call for school uniforms, gym bags and back to school haircuts. The countdown is on as the vast majority of Perth and Kinross school children get ready to hit the books this Tuesday 16th August. Summer has been… let’s say temperamental! However, it hasn’t stopped the fun as the Live Active Holiday Hero camps have had an AMAZING year packed full of kids enjoying themselves in activities ranging from football to mountain scrambles and ice skating to cricket!
Of course, when the days seem endless and there is an abundance of time to be filled, it makes sense to us parents to look around for things to do that will amuse little minds and burn off lots of energy. The need to keep kids active is heightened fully by the desire to restrain the cries of ‘I’M BORED’ and we know that this is a huge motivator for the parents of many of our summer Holiday Heroes!
However, we’d like to put a little reminder out there about how you can help your child live a more active life during term time. There may not be as much empty hours to fill but the benefits of regular exercise to pre-school and primary aged children are immense.
TOP TEN REASONS FOR KEEPING YOUR KID ACTIVE!
- Physical activity develops children’s self-esteem and confidence as they learn how to overcome challenging situations and further develop social skills such as leadership and empathy.
- Exercise increases the blood flow to all body tissues, including the brain which means better concentration levels both in school and out of it.
- Active children improve their body’s ability to absorb oxygen through aerobic exercise. Due to the increased oxygen in their body’s cells they feel more energised.
- Active children breathe better and sweat more. Breathing and sweating are great ways to detoxify the body and help it keep “clean.”
- Exercise enhances the brain’s metabolism and studies show that active children have improved memory as a result of better brain function.
- Moderate, fun-oriented exercise increases all of those beneficial hormones while at the same time, burning off excess harmful hormones.
- Studies report that exercise decreases anxiety, reduces depression, and improves mood and outlook in children. In addition, their quality of sleep is improved.
- Active children have a stronger immune system! The body’s ability to fight disease is improved. Children are less prone to colds, allergies, and diseases.
- As with adults, exercise means a reduction of type 2 diabetes, a lower blood pressure, an improvement of the child’s cholesterol profile and a strengthening of the entire cardiovascular system, including the heart and lungs.
- Active children develop stronger bone structure and muscle structure which will last into adulthood.
Sounds good right? You’d never miss the dentist, never skip giving them a wee dose of calpol if they feel poorly and so helping them nurture a love of exercise and wellbeing is just another way of looking after their health and wellbeing.
The ACTIVE FUN MEMBERSHIP (5-11YRS) is one of the brilliant ways you can do this. For just £10 a month you can access all of these fab activities free of charge. It is amazing value and includes all the kids’ favourites such as swimmies discos and ice-skating.
- SWIMMING INCLUDING SWIMMING DISCOS
- SPORTSHALL ACTIVITIES
- HOLIDAY HERO SPORTS SESSIONS (Drop in and single sessions)
- ICE SKATING (excluding skate hire)
- MUGA PITCHES (booked up to 24hrs in advance)
If you’re wondering what might be on the timetable that your wee one will enjoy check out the current availability throughout the area. Do get in touch with your local venue to find out more about other classes that may have waiting lists.
BELL'S SPORTS CENTRE
|Wednesday||12pm||Wee Springers||1-3 years|
|1pm||Wee Springers||1-3 years|
|2pm||Wee Springers||3-5 years|