Let's Have An Adventure!
Helping you keep the kids happy, active and amused has been part of LAL’s local summer holiday promise in Perth and Kinross for over twenty years now. (I know, we can hardly believe it ourselves!). Building on its humble beginnings in Bell’s Sports Centre, our award-winning programme has gone from strength to strength becoming the area’s largest school holiday activity provider. In fact, in the past decade alone our amazing team has delivered over 100,000 sessions to an incredible 8,500 young people - you or your kids may very well have been one of them.
As you might imagine, ensuring we continue to develop and dazzle year-on-year is no mean feat – impressing children is one of the toughest challenges we face! We want to create a fun, vibrant programme that they truly adore and one that will remain with them for years to come – we’re creating summer holiday memories after all and that’s a job we take very seriously.
Last year and for the first time, Live Active had the opportunity to offer an outdoor adventure programme and we’re proud to say it received a huge thumbs-up from all who took part. Kids loved the freedom and excitement, parents loved the fact that their children were out enjoying the fresh air of the Perthshire countryside and our instructors were thrilled at sharing their skills in a whole new way. Yet another great benefit of Sports Development joining the Live Active family.For those of you who didn’t quite make it in time to bag one of these exciting spaces, here’s what happens:
Kids are dropped off at Bell’s Sports Centre between 8am and 9am and from here we minibus out to various locations in Perthshire and Fife. Each trip is limited to 14 places which is why it’s so important to book in early. From the off, we encourage children to get to know each other which settles any nerves and helps the journey time pass quickly.
Each day is themed differently but the aim is exactly the same; to get kids enjoying the great outdoors, building confidence, learning new skills and discovering a whole new side to their local environment. From raft building to abseiling, mountain biking to gorge adventures this is active fun on a whole new level!
Our Big Adventure Day is especially popular, with forest, hillside and crag exploring, outdoor games, and shelter building all going into working up an appetite for the hot chocolate and marshmallows that round off the day. There are three opportunities for kids to take part in this fantastic fun day out this summer, with an additional two Family Adventure Days on offer for mums, dads and grandparents who might be feeling left out!
Check it out below:
- Big Adventure Day: Explore forests, crags and hillsides, build shelters and games. Finish off the day with hot chocolate and marshmallows - yum!
- Climbing Adventure: Take to the crag at Bennybeg or Craig a Barns for some outdoor climbing and abseiling. Great fun for all abilities!
- Loch Adventure Day: Build rafts using canoes and race across the Loch. Learn canoe paddle skills and enjoy fun team games.
- Mountain Biking: Take to the trails in and around Loch Ordie/Pitmedden Forest on this mountain biking adventure. A great day out!
- Kayak Adventure Day: A day of paddling and fun. Ideal for beginners and those new to outdoor kayaking.
- Family Adventure Day: A day of exploring with the family. Learn new bushcraft skills, build shelters and even try some archery. Canoeing will also feature at the Faskally Adventure.
- Elie Chain Walk: One of the most exciting walks for children in the UK. Use the footholds and chains as you slither and scramble across the rocks with the waves crashing below.
- Canoe & Gorge Adventure: Spend the morning canoeing in Loch Faskally then an afternoon exploring the gorge at Linn of Tummel.
- Adventure River Trip: For more experienced paddlers; a river journey on the River Tay from Luncarty to Perth.
Why Choose Outdoors?
We know there are lots of great choices on offer over the holidays in Perth in Kinross – in fact over 100 of these activities take place in a LAL venue! Having fun through active play is hugely important (find out some of the benefits here>>>) and taking part in any sport is a great way for your child to spend the holidays.
However, playing outside comes with additional benefits and we think that jumping, running, climbing, swinging, racing, yelling, rolling, hiding, and making a big mess is what childhood is all about! Freedom, adventure, experimentation, risk-taking and just being children all while getting a much-needed boost of vitamin D, is a sure fire way of keeping your wee one happy!
There are fifteen sessions this year - two of which are Family Days – and spaces are limited to between 12 and 14 per class.
We really do advise you book early to avoid disappointment. For adventure camp dates and the full Holiday Hero Summer 2017 Programme, click here >>>
*All days £25 per child. Family Adventure Day – 1 adult, 1 child £30 with additional family members coming in at £15
FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AGED 16+:
Based at Kinloch Rannoch, we’re excited to offer a week long residential adventure trip for teenagers aged 16+. This is an ideal opportunity for young people to experience the great outdoors over an extended period. There will be a range of adventure activities on offer during the week but in addition to this, the trip provides a great opportunity to meet new people, learn new skills and work as part of a team. It is also ideal for those who are working towards their Gold Duke of Edinburgh