50 FOR A REASON #29 – Great Partnerships Work For All
Nicki catches up with Sarah Halliday to find out more about the amazing opportunities out there for sports coaching grants in Perth and Kinross. Coaches, clubs and athletes are all going to want to read this!
The partnership between Perth’s amazing Gannochy Trust and Live Active Leisure is nothing new – it was thanks to this unique meeting of minds in fact, that LAL is currently celebrating 50 years serving the local community. During this half decade of working together there has been many fantastic achievements including the building of Bells Sports Centre and Perth Leisure Pool, the development of the Talented Athlete Performance Squad and the investment in the equipment, coaches and people that make Perth and Kinross a leader in the field when it comes to community sporting involvement.
One of the most successful programmes of recent years has been the Coaching Grants and Coach Development opportunities. Coaches are almost always volunteers who are passionate about the sports the end up involved in. Many have played themselves when younger, some at performance level, some as keen amateurs; there are also many parents involved in the coaching of clubs after their children become involved. Whatever the reason behind the involvement one things is clear – without these volunteers many, many sporting opportunities simply wouldn’t exist.
LAL and The Gannochy Trust have come together to offer support and financial assistance in coach development and club development. This year alone the programme has helped support coaches to do: 4 x Swimming courses, 2 x Netball courses, 2 x canoeing courses, and 1 x Gymnastics, Cricket, Table Tennis and Gymnastics course.
There are three main areas of assistance and these are now open for applications. Applications are viewed every 6 weeks for the Individual and Community Sport Development Grants with the Developing Sporting Talent application deadline set for 30th June.
- Developing Sporting Talent Grants of up to £1000 to support the development of sporting pathways
- Community Sport Development Grants of up to £500 to support groups and clubs to develop their people for the benefit of community sport.
- Individual Coaching Grants to develop new and existing coaches.
Developing Sporting Talent – Grants of Up To £1000
As anyone reading this will know, LAL is committed to developing sporting talent and with this new pot of funding, they are able to offer grants that support sporting pathways and performance. They would welcome applications from sports to secure funding to develop sporting talent locally and support the achievement of the programme outcomes which include building strong pathways in sport for young people with talent and seeing more young people achieving success and recognition at regional, national and international level.
Examples of What Can Be Funded
- Creation of a local development/performance squad to provide a clear pathway into regional and national performance programmes.
- An intervention to address high dropout rates due to an identified gap in a participation pathway.
- Streamlining the pathway between recreation, club and performance levels for a given sport. Please call us if you are not sure whether your project could be included under this grant scheme, and we can discuss your proposal with you before you submit an application form.
The funding of expenses, equipment or individual athlete needs does NOT fall within the scope of this grant. For a full list of criteria, terms and conditions and an application form please click here.
Please note closing dates for application is 30th June 2016.
Supporting Groups and Clubs To Develop People For The Benefit of Community Sport - Grants of up to £500
This fund is part of the Community Sport Planning Group Vision and it aims to widen opportunities for people to participate in sport and active recreation at all levels across Perth and Kinross. Within this funding pot there is scope to help the development of local people to provide good quality and sustainable clubs and programmes and to allow individuals to achieve their personal goals in being involved in sport and active recreation.
The hope is that we can develop positive role models in sport at all levels as participants, coaches and officials who will help us inspire future generations. Funding is available for:
- Mentoring - applications will be considered from sports clubs who wish to employ experienced coaches or officials to enhance the knowledge and skills of their own people through a mentoring relationship.
- Coaching and Officiating Workshops - for applications to be considered the applicant need to show the proposed workshop will benefit and enhance sports coaching in Perth and Kinross.
- Governance - applications to support committee members to better understand governance within their club.
- Miscellaneous - this could include any sporting event/activity that enhances coach development in Perth & Kinross.
Applications are considered by the Community Sport Planning Group every 6 weeks – click here for the latest deadline for submissions. If you are unsure if your idea will fit the criteria then please call Sarah Haliday for a chat.
Individual Coaching Grants
This pot will widen opportunities for individuals to participate in sport and active recreation at all levels across Perth and Kinross. The development of local people to provide good quality, sustainable clubs and programmes is vital to the ongoing success of our young people and future athletes.
Through this fund we hope to develop local people and assist them in achieving their personal sporting goals which will allow more positive role models as participants, coaches and officials are enabled to inspire future generations.
If you think that your club, volunteers or coaches would benefit from accessing some of this funding please do apply. There has money earmarked for this and The Gannochy Trust and Live Active Leisure WANT to help you and your individual athletes and coaches reach their potential.
Contact Sarah Halliday, Sports Initiatives Administrator
Or Click over to the Coach Development Page to download the application forms.