Community Sports Hubs
What is a Community Sport Hub?
Community Sport Hubs is a sportscotland 2014 Commonwealth Games Legacy sports development project. The idea behind a hub is for all sports clubs, organisations and parties interested and involved in sport within a facility or a locality to work together to share good practice, expertise, knowledge and resources and to become stronger together. Community sport hubs bring clubs and the community together to achieve a shared vision for developing sport.
Each Community Sport Hub is unique with its own vision and values that reflect the uniqueness of the community in which it is based, but all hubs work to five common principles;
• Growth in participation • Understanding community need • Supporting community leadership • Offering a range of sports • Ensuring all the right people work together
What is the benefit of being involved with a Community Sport Hub?
• Increased numbers of participants and growth in club memberships
• More people recruited to get involved with local sport
• You become part of a local sporting network where good practice, ideas and resources are shared
• Coaches, officials and volunteers become more skilled through accessing development and training opportunities
• Sports clubs become self-sustaining
• Assistance to identify funding
• Assistance to achieve Perth and Kinross Club Sport Accreditation
• Access to a dedicated, local, full time sports development officer
• Links provided to key sport personnel from sportscotland, national governing bodies and local authority to help your club develop
• Sports clubs become stronger and better managed organisations that understand and meet the community’s need
• Young hub leaders bring young people’s views to the heart of decision making
• Integrated approach to developing sport
• Genuine community engagement and leadership
• Ensure quality facilities exist to provide improved access for local people and sports clubs at affordable prices and that the community sports hub is integrated with local facility planning and programming
• A strong unified voice in the planning and development of local sport
• Links to pathways to develop talented athletes
Want to set up a new community sport hub in your village or town?
To become a community sport hub, we require commitment from three different sports clubs in a community to work towards the five key principles listed above. Once clubs have met and agreed they wish to proceed, please contact, Kirsteen Ross, Community Sport Hubs Officer, Live Active Leisure, Bell’s Sports Centre, Hay Street, Perth, PH1 5HS
Tel: 01738 472245
Add in links to sportscotland hub leaflet and webpage
Find out more about Community Sports Partnerships/Hubs